Monday, November 28, 2011

Gotta Love That Hat!!!

Hello My Friends!

I wanted to post a sample of one of my finished items, a crocheted hat that I made about a year ago when I was residing in Asheville,NC. Googling free patterns is a common past time of mine. I love to see what cool crocheted pieces I can come up with or become inspired by. Asheville has an enormous hippie culture, and I noticed all the hippie girls at my school wearing these slouchy, floppy looking hats. So, I started Googling, and I came across a pattern for the "Puffy Slouchy Hat" on the following site:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195823.0 Copy and paste the link into your web browser to see Jessica Suzanne's version of the hat. I have posted her pattern on my blog for you below.

Here is my version of the hat:





I followed the pattern up until the last few rows. I did a filet stitch for one or two rows at the very end.















Puffy Slouchy Hat

Bulky weight yarn, size K hook. For Worsted weight use a J hook

The numbers in the [] say how many stitches there should be.

Puff stitch: (YO, insert hook in next st, YO, pull up a loop) 4 times, YO, and draw through all loops on hook. (Here’s a video)

You do not have to join rounds, and this will create a spiral, and there will be no seam. Use a stitch marker if you do this, and keep the stitch count the same.

1: ch 4, 12 dc in first st, join in ch. (Just grab one loop from top of the chain. This makes the seam less visible, and this will make a circle.) [12]

2: ch 3, work 1 dc where chain is (in same st as join - ch3 counts as first dc), 2 dc in each stitch, join with sl st (remember, the ch counts as a st!). [24]

3: ch 3, work 1 dc where chain is, (work 1 dc, 2 dc in next stitch) around. Join. [36]

4: ch 3, work 1 dc where chain is, (work 1 dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st) around. Join. [48]

5: ch3, work 1 dc where chain is, (work 1 dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc) around. Join. [60]

6: ch 3, 1 dc in each st around. Join. [60]

7: ch 3, 1 dc in each st around. Join. [60]

8: ch 3, 1 dc in each st around. Join. [60]

9: ch 3, puff st in same st as join, dc in next st, (puff in next st, dc in next
st) around. Join in top st of first puff. [60 sts: 30 puffs, 30 dc]

10: ch 1, (sc in top of puff, sc in next dc) around. Join. [60]
* It will look like you are skipping stitches here, but you aren’t. Just
remember, sc in top of puff, skip spot, and sc in top of dc post. Make sure you have 60 sts here!

11: same as row 9. [60 sts: 30 puffs, 30 dc]

12: sc around, same as row 10. [60]

13: same as row 9. [30 puffs, 30 dc]

14: sc around, same as row 10. [60]

15: ch 1, sc in each st around. [60]

16: ch 1, (sc in next 3 sts, dec over next 2 sts) around. Join. [48]

17: ch 1, sc in each st around. Join. [48]

18: same as row 17. [48]

19: same as row 17. [48]

20: same as row 17. [48]

21: ch 1, (slip st in next st, ch1, slip st in same st) around. Join in first sc.
Fasten off, weave in ends.

Please visit Jessica Suzanne's awesome blog to see how it should look if you follow the above pattern exactly:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=195823.0

Special thanks to Jessica Suzanne and craftster.org

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this hat. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I've recently shared your website for the bears with a co-worker who makes crafty little lamps out of old wine bottles. For anyone who's interested in the bears... http://www.ursaminorminiatures.com
    I have to bug my co worker for pictures and a site to her cool little creations.

    ReplyDelete